Frequently Asked Questions About Scholarships
- When does the Foundation give scholarships?
Applications for scholarships for the upcoming academic year (academic years starting in the fall) must be postmarked or submitted online by March 1 of that same year. For example, to apply for a scholarship for the 2017-2018 academic year, applications must be submitted by March 1, 2017. 2017-2018 academic year applications will be available to complete on-line at www.doylefound.org beginning on December 1, 2016. The applications and the additional documentation requested must be completed and submitted online no later than March 1, 2017. Due to the high volume of applications received, only those applicants receiving a scholarship will be notified. Students receiving a scholarship will be notified by May 1 of each year.
- What is requested in the application process?
A complete application includes a signed legal contract, a completed application form, a work experience form, and a community activities form. Documents required in the application process include a personal essay, two letters of recommendation, school transcripts from all academic institutions the student has attended, the applicant’s Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA, financial aid information, and a budget/cost of attendance form from each school listed on the application.
- What is a Student Aid Report from FAFSA?
The Student Aid Report (SAR) is generated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Student Aid Report provides validated information to assist organizations in making decisions about a student’s financial aid. See Sample SAR. A SAR “summary form” is not an acceptable substitution for the actual SAR. When applying, upload all 5 pages of your SAR as one document, not as separate pages.
- What are the criteria for applying for this scholarship?
Refer to the qualifying schools page on this website for information regarding qualifying schools. The link is also on the top of the homepage under the scholarships tab.
5. Why does the application ask if I received this scholarship before?
All applicants are required to submit all application documents with the following exception: If a student received a scholarship from The Frank M. and Gertrude R. Doyle Foundation, Inc. for 2016-2017, some documents will not need to be re-submitted and will not show on the application form. If a student received a scholarship from this Foundation more than one academic year ago and not in 2016-17, the student is required to complete and upload all application documents.
6. If I did or did not receive a scholarship from the Foundation, can I reapply the following year?
Yes. There is no limit to how many times a student can apply for this scholarship.
7. Do I have to apply on-line?
No. Visit the applications page to sign up to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, a paper application can be obtained. Contact Us to request a paper application. Be sure to include your address in the request.
8. Can I send in some of my documents on-line and mail in other documents?
No (with the exception of number 9 below). You must apply entirely on-line or entirely on paper by mail. Your application will not be accepted if you submit some documents on-line and mail in other documents.
9. The author of my letter of recommendation wants to submit the letter directly to the Foundation, rather than give it to me to upload with my application. What should I do?
Applicants in possession of their letters of recommendation should upload the letters within their online application. Letters of recommendation will not be accepted by email directly from applicants. However, letter authors may email letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org if desired. Deadline is March 1.
10. How do I know if I completed and submitted my application online?
You may “Save Draft” of your application if you wish to return and edit it prior to March 1. Once you have completed the application, click “Save” and you will return to the main menu where you can complete your work experience and community activity forms. You must “Submit” all 3 forms in Part 1 before March 1. No changes can be made to the application or other forms after you submit it, or after March 1. You may print or save your application and other forms at any time.
11. How do I know if I uploaded my documents correctly?
If you see your documents’ names in the correct upload fields on your application, you have successfully uploaded them to the application. You may upload new documents until March 1 if needed. Unofficial transcripts can be submitted with your application.
12. When entering my work experience and/or community activities, I added an item but I did not mean to and I cannot delete it. What should I do?
Added items cannot be deleted. Simply enter N/A into the fields and submit the form when you are done with it. This will not affect the processing of your application.
The remaining questions apply only to 2016-17 The Frank M. and Gertrude R. Doyle Foundation, Inc. scholarship recipients who are applying for a 2017-18 scholarship:
13. My payment request portal log-in email and password do not work on the scholarship application log-in page.
As stated on the scholarship application log-in page, all applicants must create a new account in this new system. Choose “sign up” to do so. The 2017-18 scholarship application is a separate system from the 2016-17 system. Our goal is to combine systems in the future.
14. Is there a separate application for those who received this scholarship in 2016-17?
No. Fields are automatically modified within the application based on your answers to the first few questions. If you received this scholarship for 2016-17, you will not be required to submit letters of recommendations or a personal essay, but you will be required to submit proof of income.
15. I received this scholarship in 2016-17 and I am applying again. Do I have to complete the work experience and community activities forms?
If you have additional work experience or community activities since your previous application, you may add them here. If you do not, simply enter N/A in the fields. You do not have to re-list your previous work experience or activities, but you do have to save the forms in order to submit your application.
16. My question is not answered here, how do I obtain more information?
Contact the foundation office at email@example.com